Flora & Fauna in the Seychelles...
Unique by a Thousand Miles...
A large amount of the Seychelles Flora & Fauna is unique, these being remnants of a super-continent (Gondwana) that existed millions of years ago. Being isolated from any large continent, Seychelles has developed its own endemic cultures.
With more than a thousand species of plants of which approximately seventy five are endemic, Seychelles offers the visitor the opportunity to view plants and animals that are found nowhere else on earth. Wonder at the Coco de Mer palm tree with the world's largest nut and the Giant Tortoises, weighing up to 280kg!
Seychelles Travel organise guided tours around the main islands of Mahé, Praslin and La Digue to provide an insight into this wonderful world of nature. All our tours are escorted by local experts familiar with the location of some of the more rare species.
Here are a few examples of the flora you would expect to see:
- Coco de Mer (Lodoicea maldivica), found in the Botanical Gardens Mahé and in the Vallee de Mai, Praslin
- Pitcher Plant (Nepethnes pervillei)
- Wright’s Gardenia (Rothmannia annae)
- Vanilla orchid ( Vanilla phalaenopsis)
- Jellyfish Plant (Medusagyne oppositifolia)
- Seychelles Pandanus (Pandnanus seychellarum)
- Cannonball Tree (Couroupita guianensis)
- Millionaire's Salad (Deckenia nobilis) to name but a few
Here are a few examples of the fauna you would expect to see:
- Seychelles Milkweed Butterfly (Euploea mitra)
- Seychelles Potter Wasp (Delta alluaudi)
- Aldabra Giant Tortoise (Aldabrachelys elephantine)
- Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas)
- Hawksbill Turtle (Eretmochelys imbricate)
- Wrights Skink (Mabuya wrightii)
- Bronze Eye Gecko(Ailuronyx trachygaster)
- Seychelles Pygmy Frog (Sooglossus gardinen)
- Seychelles Fruit Bat (Pteropus seychellensis)
Would you prefer to have a guide? As well as group tours, we also provide private tours for clients from 1 day to 7 days.
Click here to contact Seychelles Travel for more details and prices.